Facts Finder for May
1. Web cams allow you to view video or pictures via the
Internet. Check out these nest
2. The mayor of your town has proposed green roof technology
be used in the new town hall.
3. Mount McKinley has an interesting story. Use you research skills to answer these questions.
Who was the mountain "officially" named for?
Why was this name chosen?
The mountain has another name. What is it?
Which name do you believe is correct? Explain.
Where must you go to climb this mountain?
Approximately how many miles is it from your school to "the High One"?
Convert this to kilometers.
4. How tall will Denali be when you graduate from high school?
Explain the geologic phenomena that is causing it to grow taller.
5. May is National Strawberry Month. Why are strawberries a nutritious snack?
6. According to the Cherokee people, what is the May moon called?
Identify a group of Native Americans that live/lived in your state or region.
Do all Native American tribes have the same name for May's moon?
TAI (think about it!) Why?
Give your own name to the month of May. Explain your choice.
7. May 1st is Law Day in the USA. What is meant by the phrase "the rule of law?"
8. Think outside the box. (Perhaps I should say membrane. ;-)
How can they be used to solve a problem?
9. Listen to Woman's Long-Term Memory Astonishes Scientists.
Would you like to have her "gift" or not?
Test yourself - What did you wear the first day of school this year?
What did you have for lunch on that day?
10. Multiplication Patterns Watch the video. Do the 3s and 7s. What do you find?
11. Find out - Why it is so special that the falcons have nested on the Rachel Carson Building, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania?
Hint - Who was Rachel L. Carson?
12. George Washington's extended family once owned this land. Legend has it that the first president himself stood on the bluff now occupied by the house, to survey the future site of the federal city. Robert E. Lee called it home for about 30 years. Today many consider it the United States' most hallowed ground.What is it called today?
Name one person from your state who is interred there.
13. May 14 is the birthday of Gabriel Fahrenheit. What did he invent?
Name one way his invention impacts your life.
Explore - Consider - Solve Spring Outdoor Mystery
April 2007 Cynthia J. O'Hora. Updated 4/2014
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color ( not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment. Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheetTech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together.