History Mystery Message Challenge
Gather the history and government facts to solve this mystery message
about the U. S. Constitution.
1. The month the U.S. Constitution was signed by the delegates at the Constitutional Convention of 1787.
2. The Motto of the United States of America is
3. The 1787 Constitution replaced the Articles of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
4. According to the rules of the Constitutional
Convention, no matter how many delegates a state sent,
casts the same vote, the vote is said to be _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
5. This state did not send delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention.
6. Article II of the US Constitution establishes this branch of the federal government.
Not a clue, just curious - Compare this to the constitution of your state or commonwealth.
7. To express gratitude for the new
Constitution, President George Washington
8. A militiaman during the Revolutionary War, he played a critical role in establishing
the financial stability of the United States.
9. The Fifth Amendment says, "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."
The government's authority to take a citizen's land is known as _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _. (two words)
10. They establish the rights of individual American citizens that the government must respect.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
11. During the Constitutional Convention discussions, the doors to the building were _ _ _ _ _ _ .
12. Amendment VIII, which was ratified
on December 15, 1791,
13. The Constitution was written in this building.
Pennsylvania _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
14. This delegate from Connecticut proposed
a two-house legislature, consisting of a Senate and
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
15. In 1776, a group of delegates, who had gathered in Philadelphia, approved the Declaration of
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
16. The Constitution became the law of the land on June 21, 1788, when this number of states had ratified it.
17. The fifth state to ratify the Constitution.
18. Supporters of the Constitution believed
that the checks and balances system would allow a strong central government
19. On July 12, _ _ _ _ _ _ Ellsworth, of Connecticut, proposed that representation for the lower house be based on the number of free persons and three-fifths of "all other persons," (slaves). He participated in drawing up the first draft of the Constitution.
20. The last name of the oldest delegate at the Constitutional Convention.
21. Per the U.S. Constitution, all bills for raising Revenue initiate here.
22. The Constitution specifies that
the House of Representatives has the sole power to bring charges against
23. Anti-Federalist Samuel _ _ _ _ _ wrote
his "Centinel" essays. He argued the Constitution
24. This group elects the President. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
25. Patrick Henry, an ardent advocate for the Revolutionary War said, "Give
me Liberty or give me death".
Why was he so concerned about the convention?
26. Over 11,000 amendments to the Constitution have been
introduced in Congress.
27. The length of service for an elected officials is called a term. Terms are measured in _ _ _ _ _ .
28. When the President refuses to sign legislation it is called a _ _ _ _.
29. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the U.S. The nine Justices hear cases and deliver _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
30. According to the Constitution, each state has this number of Senators.
31. The process by which citizens select the individuals who represent them in the government or decide an issue.
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Put your name and the date in a header. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid symbol, , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing mine. You will not like it either. Submit your response via a class drop box or email. Bad things happen: Save a copy of your work on your computer. Proof read your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets worck. How To: Make your own printed answer sheet.