Computer Scavenger Hunt by Cindy O'Hora
1. Describe the 4 components all computers have in common.
Give an example of a use for these special font characters.
How do you enter a © (copyright symbol) in a Word document?
3. What is a handshake?
4. What is a home page?
Enter the home page address (URL) of your school or your local government's web site.
5. What handles can you not hold in your hand?
6. What was ENIAC?
7. What contribution did Ada Byron make to computing?
8. What kind of wafers are used at Intel to make computer chips? Be specific!
9. What do they call the suit that cleanroom technicians must wear while making computer chips?
Why is the special clothing necessary?
10. What does modem stand for anyway? (Search the Webopedia site)
What does a modem do?
11. I think the person who coined these computer terms must have been hungry.
What is a bit?
Use the database Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing to learn ...
How many nibbles are in a byte?
What is a byte?
What is a kilobyte?
What is a megabyte?
What is a gigabyte?
What is a terabyte?
12. The ARPANET 's development began in 1966. It was an
experiment to connect universities so
13. In what year was the first
World-Wide Web software created by Tim Berners-Lee?
Which is older? You or the World Wide Web?
14. Project Gutenberg puts on the Internet public domain
literature and information.
15. USB flash drives have replaced floppy disks.
What is a USB flash drive?
Think about it - Give an example of a use for one.
16. How many megabytes of data can a factory made audio CD hold?
Which can hold more information - a CD, a DVD, a USB thumb drive, a portable media player?
17. Douglas Engelbart was a computer visionary of the
18. What is a computer virus?
19. Name three computer peripherals.
20. What does GUI (pronounced "goo-ey") mean?
21 What is an advantage of the Dvorak keyboard?
22. How did Marcian Hoff's invention change computers? Look him up using Inventor Search.
Do all computers include one of his inventions?
23. Apple Computer's G4 is a supercomputer because its
operations can be measured in gigaflops.
24. Name a mammal, other than humans, uses a computer.
(Use your online research skills to find Project Delphis)
25. This teacher's web page is an example of:
"If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." ~ Thomas A. Edison
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together. You do not have to take paper based notes at the library and digitalize them at home.
How could this facilitate a group project or a research project you are working on in two different places?
Internet Hunts / Nature / Computers / Problem & Project based Learning / Puzzles & Projects / Site map / Home
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their respective owners.
©1999 Cindy O'Hora All Rights Reserved. Educators and students may print the hunt.
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid Symbol, , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. Enter your name and the date in a header. Submit the assignment via a class dropbox or an email attachment. Bad things happen. Save a copy of your document in your computer. Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work.