Innovators in Computing Hunt
Directions: Use the hypertext links to go to a web site that has the answer. Use the Go or History Menu to return to the hunt web page. If a link is broken, use your Internet research skills to find the information you need to answer the question.
1. Mary Anderson invented the windshield wiper. Edison invented the light bulb. Tesla invented the radio. Bell is credited with inventing the telephone. Bessie Virginia Blount invented several assistive devices to help handicapped people with daily activities.
The Altair is considered the first
2. Name the Steve who invented the first Apple Computer.
3. Marcian "Ted" Hoff's invention drastically changed computing. What did he invent?
4. Doug Engelbart has invented many things that make computing easier for us. Name two.
5. A revolutionary in thinking about computers, he believed
in Man Computer Symbiosis.
What is symbiosis?
In what way(s) have we achieved his vision of symbiosis with computers?
Use you Internet searching skills to answer this question
6. In 1990, Tim Berners-Lee wrote a new language. You
may not speak it or write it.
How does he feel his world changing invention is threatened?
7. At what age did Bill Gates become interested in computing?
What was his early vision of computing?
By The Way - Bill Gates did not invent the computer. He developed the software BASIC.
8. Your keyboard has its roots in the Typewriter and the QWERTY keyboard which was invented by
What did he believe was very important?
9. In 1958, William
Higinbotham wrote a program that was an interactive display for guests
at Brookhaven National Laboratory.
10. She is credited with being the first computer programmer. Name her. Use your Internet research skills to ascertain the answer.
12. In Oct. 1982, the first CD player hit the shelves. Who came up with the idea for cds?
What was the inventor's motivation?
Use your online research skills to glean the answers:
13. Vinton Gray Cerf has played a vital role in the development of _________________________________.
His role was so important he is called: ___________________________________________________
14. How was the Homebrew Computer Club important in computing history?
Is there a similar group in your school or community? What is the group's name?
15. In 1977, Dennis C. Hayes invented a computer component
that is essential to computer communication.
What does his device do?
16. Jack Kilby invented the integrated circuit.
17. Who, would you say is the "father or mother" of the iPod?
18. Why did Scott Fahlman add the first emoticon to his email messaage? :-)
Use your online research skills to find the answer.
19. Robert E. Kahn was awarded the National Medal of Technology for
20. Steve Jobs' Think Different leadership has changed our lives. Explain.
21. The 2007 Nobel Prize in physics was awarded to Albert Fert and Peter Grunberg for simultaneously and independently
Who would you say made the greatest contribution to computing? Support your answer.
Consider the most recent recipients of "The National Science and Technology Medal".
"Wherever smart people work, doors are unlocked." Steve Wosniak
Look into this: You would not leave a faucet running constantly in case you want to wash your hands.
How Much Juice Is Your Computer Using at Night? - “PCs are not hurt by turning them on and off a few times a day,” said Jonathan Koomey, a project scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. “Economic obsolescence is much more dangerous to PCs than turning them on and off.” Reducing Carbon Footprint Of New Gadgets
PBS 39 - Career Gates - Technology online video
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid Symbol, , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. Enter your name and the date in a header. Submit the assignment via a class dropbox or an email attachment. Bad things happen. Save a copy of your document in your computer.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. | Make your own printer paper answer sheet
Perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it.