Johnny Tremain Internet Hunt
Directions: Use the links provided to find the answers to the questions. Harness the Go Menu, of your web browser, to return to this hunt page. Printer version
1. In the opening paragraphs of the tale, the Forbes
writes, " Boston slowly opened its eyes, stretched, and
How do you tell the difference?
2. Vocabulary - Use these web resources to glean the answers: M-W online / Cambridge Dictionaries / The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
Provide synonyms for these words:
Give a definition for each of these words.
Describe the last time you felt you were inundated.
Name a profession where making decisions impartially is critical.
Which of the 2 words you just defined is an adverb? _____________________________
Use these vocabulary words in a sentence.
The word "desert" is a homonym. Which meaning of the word is definitely not relevant to the story?
3. Johnny purchases a fur lined surtout in the story. What
is that article of clothing called today?
4. Two trades were mentioned extensively in the story. Silversmith
5. Ms. Forbes tells of the events the night the British
marched from Boston. How accurate
6. Dove is caught stealing tea during the tea party raid. Who really did try to steal tea that night?
7. The rebels adopted the song Yankee Doodle as their
own. Actually, the British were mocking the
8. Your class is exploring the Freedom Trail of Boston. List the places mentioned in the story that are on the tour.
9. What role did Samuel Adams play in sparking the revolution?
Do some digging:
10. Many of the characters in the story are real people. Was James Otis a real person?
Did Ms. Forbes paint an accurate picture of him?
11. Johnny is an apprentice. Consider the Ranks
of the Skilled Workers.
Think About It:
Clothing is repeatedly mentioned in the story. The red coat uniforms, the farmer's smock disguise for Pumpkin, the flashy metal buttons and special fabrics. You conclude that, in Colonial times, specific trades were identified by the clothes they wore.
Is this still true today? Can you tell a person's job by the clothes they wear? Support your answer with examples.
Watch Declaring Independence
According to the poet Ralph Waldo Emerson, who fired the shot heard round the world? (Well worth the loading time.)
Paul Revere is a character in the story. Explore his home. http://www.paulreverehouse.org/
Embark on this electronic field trip - Freedom In America: Some Assembly Required
"That a man can stand up." James Otis
©2003 Cynthia J. O'Hora. All rights reserved. FAQ
Educators may print this hunt for use in a classroom setting. posted 2/7/03 Updated & augmented 9/08
Save a tree - use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. Or perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it. Make your own answer sheet
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets worck.