Directions: Use the colored
links provided to find the answers to the questions. Use the Back button
of your browser
1. Everyone is worried about energy costs these days.
a. Landscaping can make a big difference in energy costs.
Where should we plant trees
b. Look at the pie chart on the Home
Energy Use page.
Which uses the least?
Name an action you could take to reduce energy use in your home.
Calculation Power: Your home has electric heat.
The January electric bill was $500.00.
TAI (Think about it) How can you reduce energy use in your home and at school?
2. In 2005, David
Berry won an award for his innovations.
3. What does the word "innovations" mean? Online
Dictionary (This is a long word to type with
lots of chances to make a mistake.
Give an example of a recent innovation in your life.
4. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a great
place to visit in the fall.
6. In the fall, the yew bushes are often covered with red berries. Why is this a problem?
Based on this information, would you plant them at an elementary school? Explain your decision.
7. In September, Monarch butterflies are on the move. Why?
Based on this phenomena, what could happen if a hurricaine impacted the central USA, in mid to late Spetember?
8. What is one of the best ways to keep from getting sick?
When should you do this at school?
9. Have you ever been blamed for something that was not
Calculated to challenge
10. September 27 is National Public Lands Day.
What is a public land?
Where are the closest public lands to your school or home located?
What percentage of your county has been designated as public lands?
11. One important science skill is observation. Read the poem "September"
by Helen Hunt Jackson.
Why or why not? Explain.
12. In September 2011, the European Southern Observatory announced finding a new planet. It is called HD 85512 b.
Read or listen to th earticle. Give the newly found planet an appropriate name.
Done already? Excellent!
Mrs. O's Milkweed & Monarch Butterfly Mania web site lots to see, to do and to learn
Explore Windows to the Universe - Why do the seasons change in some parts of the earth and not others?
Pathfinder Science - "hands-on, minds-on" activities ( student scientists not just science students)
2006 Cindy O'Hora All Rights Reserved. Educators may print a hunt for use in a classroom setting. FAQ posted 8/2006 UTD 9/2011.
Save a tree - use a digital answer format: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font ( avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name in a header, at the top of the document. Submit your assignment via an electronic class drop box or an email attachment.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet