Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Internet Hunt
Directions: Click on the
links (underlined words) to go to a website. Find the answer to the question(s).
1. What kind of climate does the cotton plant require?
Based on this information, could a cotton plant thrive in your yard? Explain.
2. What is the seed pod of the cotton plant called?
3. Mama talks about taking the cotton to Vicksburg to be ginned.
4. How are the seeds of the cotton plant used today?
5. Mama talks to Pa about spraying the cotton plants against insects.
6. Mama suggests to the other families that they not shop at Wallace's
Store. This is called a boycott.
7. Cassie, Little Man, Stacey, and T.J. attend a separate school from
the white students.
8. Ms. Taylor describes the white children's Jefferson Davis County School.
9. Describe the kind of black person Mildred D Taylor wanted to show in her book.
Do you think she met this goal?
Think and Respond:
10.What does the election of Barack Obama as President mean for the civil rights movement in the United States?
"Tisn't he who has stood and looked on, that can tell you what slavery is--'tis he who has endured." John Little, 1855
Extend your understanding:
* Remember Segregation for middle school students and older stunning
* Map worksheet - Estimate distance traveled on the underground railroad
* You might choose to visit Vicksburg, Ms. How many
miles would you have to drive to get there?
* Tackle this enrichment activity based on the book
The background image on this webpage is a demonstration plot of cotton plants growing at Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington.
Internet Hunts / Nature / Plants and People / Project based Learning / Civics & History / Computers / Puzzles & Projects / Home
Created and published 4/2000 Cindy O'Hora, Educators may print a hunt, exactly as it appears, for use in a classroom setting.
FAQ updated 2/15
Save a tree - use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid fancy ones like , ). Save regularly.