1. Why is her speaking at the convention considered remarkable?
2. Consider the principles she proffers regarding governing.
3. She warns against the divisiveness of self interest over the common good.
"Are we to be one people bound by common spirit or will we become a divided nation?" "There is no executive order; there is no law that can require the American people to form a national community. This we must do as individuals, and if we do it as individuals, there is no President of the United States who can veto that decision."
Her speech was given over 3 decades ago. Have we achieved her vision of a national community?
4. Evaluate 4 or more recent events in your community that were reported in the local section (or online version) of the newspaper.
5. Identify a recent government decision that served the common good.
Identify a recent government decision that served the self intrest of an individual or a few individuals.
"We believe that the people are the source of all governmental power;
"But this is the great danger America faces. That we will cease to be one nation and
The United States of Art - Explore examples of public art in this interactive Google map. Add you town or region's public art to the map.
developed by Cynthia J. O'Hora Released to public domain in honor of women of courage and vision like Ms. Barbara Jordan, Posted 8/2008
To make a (tree saving) digital answer sheet - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the wp document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or , or other ornate artistic fonts. Perhaps you will choose to record verbal answers using a recorder. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work.