U.S. Presidential Facts Activity
Directions: Use the links provided to find the answers to the questions.
1. How many Presidents have been killed while in office? Name them.
2. William Howard Taft said the position he held after the Presidency was his greatest honor.
What was that position?
3. The President's salary is set by Congress. Use the info in the linked chart to answer the following inquiries.
a. In what year(s) did the Vice President get a raise, but the President did not?
b. What was the longest period of time without a Presidential pay raise?
c. How much more is the current President being paid than George Washington earned?
d. The President's salary excludes Perquisites. What are Perquisites?
TAI (think about it) - Name two "perks" the President receives.
4. What is the purpose of a Presidential Library? (research required)
Who established the first one?
5. The President is part of the Executive branch. Who are the President's advisors?
Name one of the current Presidential advisors and the office they hold.
6. Article II of the US Constitution sets out the qualifications and powers of the executive.
a. Write them.
b. Examine the prior occupations of the Presidents of the 20th Century. (POTUS.com is a helpful resource)
What is the most frequently held occupation?
Use this table to help you organize and track the information so you can answer the question.
7. Suppose you have Presidential powers in your classroom.
Your teacher makes a rule (law) that you do not like.
8. Which Presidents did not live in the White House?
9. You should know that the Vice President becomes the
President if the President dies in office or resigns.
10. Abraham Lincoln wrote and edited his famous Gettysburg
11. Did you know that two people served as President
and Vice President, who were NOT elected to the office?
Who became President, without being elected to the post and without being first
elected to the Vice Presidency?
12. It has been over a century since the first woman ran for the Presidency of the USA.
a. Who was she?
How many decades ago did she run?
Why was she chosen to run?
b. Name a women, who ran for the U.S. Presidency, during the 20th Century.
13. The Presidential Oath binds the president-elect to protect something.
What must the President protect?
14. When you are 18 years old, you will be permitted
to vote in elections in the United States.
15. In 1782, a committee completed a Presidential Seal.
made several changes to the seal.
16. Danielle is hoping to be in charge of the next event at her US History Club. Rather than having an election or asking for volunteers, the club's advisor, Ms Moore announces who will be in charge of each activity for the next three months. Which power of the US President is similar to what the advisor has done?
To exactly mirror the way these selections are handled in the US government, what else must occur within the club?
Math Challenge: Do the Presidential Math project
Which U. S. Presidents and Vice Presidents have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?
* Examine your state's record on Presidential elections over the past 5 decades. (US Presidential Election Maps)
Describe what you find.
* Evaluate two Presidents. Based on their policies and actions, did they support limited government or unlimited government?
Internet Hunts / Nature / Computers / Pennsylvania Projects / History Mystery Message / Civics & History / Puzzles & Projects / Site map / Home
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things sometimes happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment. Use this Google Doc answer sheet
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together.