August Internet Scavenger Hunt by Cindy O'Hora
Directions: Click on the link to go to a web site with the answer to the question.
1. When I'm with you, I'm in august company.
The word "august" is an example of a heteronym - words that share the same spelling, that have
Investigate the other 11 names of the months of the year.
Which months' names are: heteronyms, homophones or homonyms? (Check out the Venn Diagram and the table below it)
How are the people feeling in the top picture?
How are they feeling in the bottom picture?
Use the clues in the picture to guess where they had visited.
3. We call this month August. What do the Cherokee people call it?
Think of something special or unique about the month of August in the region where you live.
4. You can find flowers in a garden using your sense of smell.
5. Scan this MedlinePlus article about Sunburn to answer these questions. The video is also helpful.
What is in your skin that protects you from sunburn?
Does every person get sunburn in the same amount of time in the sun? Explain.
Name three problems you can have after sunburn heals.
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion site also offers info on health.
Now that you have the facts on sunburn, write one way to protect yourself in the sun.
6. Although you want to avoid excessive sun exposure,
7. If you check out the night sky around mid August, what Showers might you experience?
Will you need a towel and shampoo?
8. How many days are there in August? Before you look for a calendar - learn
a version of this rhyme.
That rhyme is an example of a mnemonic. What is a mnemonic?
Evaluate the 3 mnemonics on this Spelling Mnemonic web page. Write the best one here.
9. If you want to travel outside of your native country, you will need a passport.
10. August means hot weather where I live. Some days I think nothing can live
for long in the heat.
Challenge question: Are you an ectotherm or an endotherm?
and Amy ride a carousel at the fair. Mike chooses an inside horse. Amy selects
the one next to it.
Is Amy going faster than Mike, slower than Mike or are they circling at the same speed?
12. Watch Multiplying Fractions video. at MathFLIX math videos at Loyola University of Chicago School of Education.
Give a real life example where you would need to multiply fractions to accomplish something. (Hint: sharing could be involved)
In case you are interested, MathFLIX have lots of interesting videos about fractions.
Khan Academy also has terrific, free fractions videos to help you improve your understanding of fractions.
^ Robert Adler invented something that I'll bet you use daily. What did he invent?
^ Check out how important the plant Milkweed is in your environment.
^ Watch the Liberty Kid's #1 video. Explain why you would like to go or not like to travel to that area to explore this part of our history.
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their respective owners.
2001 Cindy O'Hora. FAQ Revised 8/2019, posted 8/2001
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color ( not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet