Geology of Pennsylvania, on the DCNR web site, is a good resource for this activity.
1. Describe the landforms of the physiographic province of your county.
2. Name two common fossils found in Pennsylvania.
Which ones have you found/seen?
What is the state fossil of Pennsylvania?
During a walk in a field, you discover a fossil. It looks like the shells of the clams you eat at a summer picnic.
3. Name a mineral, found in Pennsylvania, that is important to the Commonwealth's economy.
Name three of the eight minerals that were found in Pennsylvania before they were found anyplace else.
Where must you travel to add a specimen of one of them to your collection.
Examine the Geologic Map of Pennsylvania. (Just after page 14)
4. What is sedimentary rock?
How is conglomerate formed?
5. Coal is an important mineral in Pennsylvania's history. (page 21)
When was this coal formed?
What are the two kinds of Pennsylvania coal called? Describe each.
Where are the major deposits of each found?
Use the Sinkhole Inventory and Online Database to ascertain how many sinkholes are located in your county.
6. Glacial Geology in Pennsylvania
Write four facts about glaciers and the Ice Age in Pennsylvania.
What evidence would you look for to see if the glaciers had been in your community?
What impact does local geology have in a community? Great Lakes Geologic Mapping Coalition
7. List the fossil fuels found in Pennsylvania.
8. When you buy or sell a home in Pennsylvania, you must have a radon test done. Why?
9. Describe the processes that formed a Pennsylvania geologic structure or resource.
10. Research indicated. Select a soil type. (i.e., humus, topsoil, subsoil, loam, loess, and parent material).
11. Your mom read in the newspaper that people are buying gas well drilling rights from people
12. Geologists can work in many different career paths. Name three. Describe their role in one of them.
DCNR - Pennsylvania Geology Magazine - article about Marcellus Shale 2012 Summer v. 42, no. 2
Posted 1/2007 by Cynthia J. O'Hora This work is released to the public domain
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color or font ( not yellow, avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet
Tech Tip: Working in a group or in two different places like the library & home? You do not have to be physically together to work together. Watch Google Docs video TAI - How could you use free, Google Docs to do a project? How would this facilitate group projects?
Aligned with the following Pa
Academic Standards - Reading, Writing Speaking, History, Civics and
Government, Science and Technology, Career Education and Work.