Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy Internet Activity
Directions: Use your online research skills to find resources to assist you in answering the questions. PDF version
1. The setting of the story is...
Name several other geographic locations in the United States that are similar to Malaga.
The island of Malaga is part of an archipelago. What is an archipelago?
Use a search engine to look up Phippsburg, Maine. Compare its stats to your town.
Which is older?
Which community has a larger total area?
Which community has more people?
2. Granite is mentioned repeatedly in the story.
Name a rock or mineral commonly found in your community or region.
3. Reverend Buckminster requires Turner to translate The Aeneid from Latin to English.
Who wrote it?
How many centuries ago was it written?
What is the name of the main character?
4. The leaders of Phippsburg force the people of Malaga to leave their homes. This part of the story is true.
What is eminent domain?
Does this still happen today? Are people forced from their homes and property?
For what reasons can the government take a person's home and property in your state?
5. First Aid
Turner gets hit in the face and punches Willis in the nose. Both end up with bloody noses.
Both Rev. Buckminster and Lizzie suffer concussions.
6. In Chapter 12, Turner finally meets eye to eye with a whale. Use the clues in the story and Internet based cetation info to identify what species of whale he observed. Some of the clues are: long fins which they smack on the water, black and white, behemoths, travel in pods off the coast of Maine.
7. Reverend Eaton makes clam chowder. Find a clam chowder recipe.
8. How accurate was the author's description of the events surrounding the mass eviction?
9. How did the author choose the main characters' names?
10. Listen to these loon calls. Describe what it sounds like to you. Do you hear laughter?
"Books can ignite fires in your mind, because they carry ideas
* Sarah Burke wrote a review of the novel. Do you agree with her or disagree with her? Why?
* Write a biography of Lizzie Bright or Turner Buckminster - Use the resources at Biography
* Personal Narrative Essay - help injured -
* Design a PowerPoint™ presentation of the story elements - adapt to this book
* Making Book Trailers with Photo Story 3 free software and free tutorial
* Conduct a debate. Role play the opposing sides of the development issues exposed in the story
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their
Save a tree - How to make a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color (NOT YELLOW) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or ). Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Submit your assignment via an electronic class dropbox or email attachment. Save a copy of your work on your computer.