Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy Internet Activity
Directions: Use your online research skills to find resources to assist you in answering the questions. PDF version
1. The setting of the story is...
Name several other geographic locations in the United States that are similar to Malaga.
The island of Malaga is part of an archipelago. What is an archipelago?
Use a search engine to look up Phippsburg, Maine. Compare its stats to your town.
Which is older?
Which community has a larger total area?
Which community has more people?
2. Granite is mentioned repeatedly in the story.
Name a rock or mineral commonly found in your community or region.
3. Reverend Buckminster requires Turner to translate The Aeneid from Latin to English.
Who wrote it?
How many centuries ago was it written?
What is the name of the main character?
4. The leaders of Phippsburg force the people of Malaga to leave their homes. This part of the story is true.
What is eminent domain?
Does this still happen today? Are people forced from their homes and property?
For what reasons can the government take a person's home and property in your state?
5. First Aid
Turner gets hit in the face and punches Willis in the nose. Both end up with bloody noses.
Both Rev. Buckminster and Lizzie suffer concussions.
6. In Chapter 12, Turner finally meets eye to eye with a whale. Use the clues in the story and Internet based cetation info to identify what species of whale he observed. Some of the clues are: long fins which they smack on the water, black and white, behemoths, travel in pods off the coast of Maine.
7. Reverend Eaton makes clam chowder. Find a clam chowder recipe.
8. How accurate was the author's description of the events surrounding the mass eviction?
9. According to an interview with the author Gary D. Schmidt posted at Teachers @ Random...
"Q: Turner Ernest Buckminster III and Lizzie Bright Griffin are both unusual names. What is the significance of these names? Where did they originate?
A: Turner is from Frederick Jackson Turner, whose precise and elegant writing I admire a great deal. The name, obviously, holds metaphoric meaning as well, as one who turns from one position to another. Ernest is my oldest son’s middle name and my grandfather’s name, and also holds a clue to something deep in Turner’s character–his earnestness, if you will. Buckminster is taken from Joseph Stevens Buckminster, one of America’s greatest preachers in the early 19th century, who broke new ground in his writing by using science and history in his theological work. He would have been fascinated by Darwin.
Griffin is a name of one of the prominent families that lived on Malaga Island. I took Lizzie as another name that was on the island, and one that suggested some of her defiant, witty, no-nonsense character."
Imagine you are writing a story that has 3 main characters.
What names would you give these characters? How would you decide?
10. Listen to these loon calls. Describe what it sounds like to you. Do you hear laughter?
"Books can ignite fires in your mind, because they carry ideas
* Write a biography of Lizzie Bright or Turner Buckminster - Use the resources at Biography
* Personal Narrative Essay - help injured
* Conduct a debate. Role play the opposing sides of the development issues exposed in the story
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their
Save a tree - How to make a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color (NOT YELLOW) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or ). Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Submit your assignment via an electronic class dropbox or email attachment. Save a copy of your work on your computer.