Nory Ryan's Song
Internet Hunt by Cindy O'Hora
Directions: Bookmark the hunt page. Use the links (green underlined words) provided to find the answers to the questions. Use the bookmark to return to the hunt. Note: Several links in this project take you to web servers (computers) in Ireland. That may mean the pages load a bit slowly. Be patient! If a link does not work, use your internet research skills to find the answer.
1. Nory Ryan loses Anna's coin into
What else might you see there?
2. Nory Ryan helps Anna collect a plant called nettles.
3. Throughout the story Nory Ryan is worried about the sidhe. According to this resource, what are the sidhe?
Search Encyclopedia Mythica for the answers.
Why should she have not worried about them?
4. Nory Ryan gathers limpets to eat. What are they?
Have you ever eaten limpets?
Why are they easy to catch?
5. Locate the map of Ireland in the World Factbook . Use clues in the story to answer the following questions.
In what body of water did the father probably fish?
What islands did Maggie pass on the ship when she embarked on her journey to Brooklyn?
6. Lord Cunningham demands the Mallons' currach to pay the rent. Describe a currach. (Look it up)
7. Nory Ryan makes due for many weeks on the eggs of
8. Read this report by a student in Ireland. How long has the gannetry been located off the coast of Kerry?
9. Here are some photos of
roof cottages in Ireland.
10. How many people died during The Great Irish Famine?
Write two other important facts about the famine.
11. Ms. Giff's once said formula for writing was straight forward.
"Create a person, put that person in a place, and present a problem.
Name a story or two, that you have read, which sounds like her plan.
12. What kind of microbe (bacteria, fungus, virus) causes potato blight?
How is it spread?
How can farmers control it today?
13. What percentage of the people in Nory's county were living in low class housing at the time of the famine?
14. What impact did the Great Famine have on Ireland?
TAI (Think About It) What impact did the Great Famine in Ireland have on the U.S.A.?
Make a GoogleLit Trip about the story.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong
to their respective owners.
Save a tree - use a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color ( not yellow) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or . Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Put your name and the date in a header. Bad things happen. Retain a copy of your work on your computer. Submit your assignment via a class electronic drop box or email attachment.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet