Directions: Use the colored links provided to
find the answers to the questions. Write the answer on your answer sheet.
1. In the story, the following plants are mentioned for making dyes:
yarrow - Name another way people have used yarrow.
madder - Which part of the plant is used?
fennel - What parts of the plant can people eat?
hollyhocks - how tall can they grow? _____________________________
Which is taller: you or a hollyhock plant?
2. For how many centuries have people been dyeing objects?
3. Kira works at the weaving building. Read about the different kinds of fibers.
Which kind of fibers were the weavers probably NOT using?
Why do you say that?
4. Kira learns many sources of color dyes come from plants. Name two other natural sources for dyes.
5. Annabella told Kira to save her urine to make a mordant.
6. Research the author Lois Lowry using your favorite search engine.
8. Ms. Lowry says most of her books deal with what theme?
9. Visit Amazon.com. Look up Gathering Blue in the book search.
Read two reviews. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
10. The society in the book employs three tools to recall its history. What are they? List at least six ways people record their history. (First consider your own experiences. Then explore each page of this site. The answers lie in your observations. It is not written on any one page. THINK!
Check out these color idioms. Tackle the quiz at the bottom of the web page.
You can try your hand at natural dyes. Here is how to use them to color egg shells.
Or try your hands at Finger Weaving
Make a crossword puzzle using vocabulary from the story
Making Book Trailers with Photo Story 3 free software and free tutorial
Internet Hunts / Nature / Plants and People / Pennsylvania Projects / Computers / Puzzles & Projects / Site map / Home
All trademarks, copyright and logos belong to their
Save a tree use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or , or other fancy fonts. Save them in an intranet. Make Your Own Answer Sheet Form using Word Processing