Directions: Use your online skills, coupled with your brain power, to answer these questions.
1. The book tells about the life and learning of a Navajo girl today.
Where do many of them live today?
2. Compare your community to Jaclyn's community in Kayenta, Arizona.
3. Jaclyn's Nali tells her about the history of the Long Walk.
If you were to go to visit Jaclyn in the Four Mountains region, how far would you have to walk?
This is not the only time the U.S. Government forced people from their homes. Give two more examples.
4. Dine women have been weaving for centuries. How is the skill passed from one generation to another?
Name a tradition your family passes from one generation to the next.
5. Nali Ruth explains that singing songs and storytelling are intertwined.
How did you learn the song?
6. Watch the Symmetry video
What percentage of the pre 1900 - Medium Size - Navajo Blankets are symmetrical?
Do some exploring of Diné weaving on the web. Are all their weavings symmetrical?
Explain your conclusion.
You are going to make a rug. Decide on a number of hours per day that you plan to work on it.
How many days will it take to complete the project.
8. Many weavers use geometric shapes in their designs.
9. Jaclyn and Nalí Ruth gather plants to dye the wool.
10. There are many decisions to be made when making a woven rug.
"This is who we are," Nalí Ruth said. "The loom connects me with the sacred mountains,
What is the role of women in Navajo Culture?
Identity by Design Native American women clothing videocasts
Woven by the Grandmothers: 19th Century Navajo Textiles Youtube video
Is this book an example of narrative, persuasive or informative writing?
2007 Cynthia J. O'Hora. Released to public domain in honor of all the extraordinary Diné weavers. Posted 10/2007
Save a tree - use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid fancy ones like , ). Save frequently as you work. MYO Printed answer sheet.
Aligned to Pennsylvania
Academic Standards: Reading, Writing, Speaking; Mathematics, Arts & Humanities; History; Civics and Government; Economics; Career Education & Work