Hatchet Internet Literature Hunt
Directions: Click on the linked (underlined words) to find the answers to the questions. Use the browser's Back button to return to this page.
1. Quills became embedded in Brian's skin after he kicked a porcupine. Native Americans actually used porcupine quills. What did they do with them?
2. Brian eats many "gut cherries" when he discovers them. They made him sick. How do some people use gut cherries (chokecherries)?
3. A belted kingfisher inspires Brian to fish for food. Where do these birds nest? (Look up the answer.)
4. Name two methods Brian could have used to start a fire.
5. How many books has Gary Paulsen written? Explore this Gary Paulsen site to find the answer.
6. What event started Mr. Paulsen's excitement about reading?
7. The fool birds that Brian eats are Ruffed Grouse. What does a male bird do with its wings to attract a female?
8. In the story, Brian confronts a black bear. What is a name for a male black bear? __________________________
What about a female black bear? __________________________________
9. Here is a listing of a basic
survival kit for two people. Imagine Brian could choose 5 items from
10. Mr. Paulsen offers some advise about surviving. What is his number one tip?
11. Read these reviews of Hatchet. Which do you rate as the best? Why?
12. Michael Auberry disappeared while on a scouting camping trip. Did he make good decisions? Why or why not?
©2001 Cindy O'Hora All Rights Reserved. Educators may print a hunt, exactly as it appears, for use in a classroom setting. FAQ Updated 9/08, Posted May 2001Save a tree use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid fancy ones like , ). Or perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it.MYO Printed answer sheet.