The Birchbark House Math Activity
1. The story is divided into seasons. Write as a ratio the number of months in one season compared to the number of months in one full year. Watch the math video. | Khan Academy's Ratio videos | Here is a mini lesson if you need help.
2. The setting of the story is a village on the banks of Lake Superior. The governments of the states and province that border the lake have decided to evenly divide the shoreline. How much shoreline will each control? Lake Superiors shoreline length (including islands) is 2,726 miles / 4,385 km. http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/ref/supfact.html
Note: you will need to look up an important fact to solve this problem.
3. The family decides to have a feast to celebrate the bountiful rice gathering.
The best hide to make makazins comes from the moose.
How many handfuls of berries must be gathered?
6. Omakayas picks all the heartberries she can find. She is happy because she
has filled a birchbark basket
Solve the formula. Show your steps.
7. As wild berries dry, they shrink. Angeline finds that three baskets of fresh berries fit in one basket after they are dried. The family has gathered the following amounts of fresh berries: 10 baskets of blueberries, 12 baskets of heartberries, 9 baskets of raspberries and 7 baskets of chokecherries.
How many birchbark baskets does the family need to store their dried berries?
8. Deydey gathers firewood and piles it outside the winter house. He gathers 1/3 of a cord per day. (A cord is 128 cubic feet of wood stacked tightly. This is typically stacked 4 high by 4 wide by 8 long) He works for 9 days. He estimates they will burn about 1 cord of firewood each month.
Has he gathered enough wood for the winter months? Explain.
How many trees will she need to have enough sheets to cover the walls of the wigwam?
In 1913, botanists Nathaniel Lord Britton and Addison Brown of the New York
Botanical Garden published
Wisconsin keeps a record of Champion trees.
Each animal has just enough brains to tan its own hide. Nokomis
Created by Cindy O'Hora 2/2006 updated 7/2009
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
Save a tree - How to make a Digital Answer Sheet: Highlight the text of the questions on this web page, copy them - Edit .. Copy. Open a text document or word processing document. Paste the questions into the blank document. Answer the questions in the word processing document in a contrasting color (NOT YELLOW) or font (avoid fancy fonts like: , Symbol, or ). Save frequently as you work. I do not like losing my work. You will not like it either. Submit your assignment via an electronic class dropbox or email attachment. Save a copy of your work on your computer.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make Your Own Printed answer sheet.