Chart Reading - Uninsured in the United States of America
A great debate is occurring in the United States about health insurance. Everyone agrees that it is a good idea for people to have health insurance. The disagreement is on why many U. S. citizens lack insurance and how they should get coverage. A second debate is whether non citizens are entitled to insurance at the taxpayer's expense.
Several government sponsored programs provide health insurance. These programs are all funded by taxing people.
1. Who is covered by each program?
2. Consider this chart showing uninsured by state.
Which state has the highest rate of uninsured people?
Where does your state fall compared to the U.S. percentage of uninsured people?
What state(s) had the lowest uninsured rate?
What percentage of the states are equal to or lower than the overall U.S. rate of uninsured?
3. If the government intervenes regarding the uninsured, what impact do you predict
4. Make some comparisons.
Find out what your state's government spent on health care in 2005 or 2006. How does it compare with federal spending?
5. In March 2007, it was found that the Census Bureau had made an error.
6. How much does health insurance cost for a family of four?
7. Researchers report that 68 percent of the adult illegal aliens they studied, had no health insurance. This compared with 17 percent of the native-born Americans, 23 percent of immigrants who had become citizens, and 38 percent of immigrants who are permanent legal residents. As a group, four in 10 of those born outside the United States lacked health insurance. Goldman et al., "Legal Status And Health Insurance Among Immigrants", Health Affairs, 24, no. 6 (2005): 1640-1653.
Who should pay for the health care of people who are in the country illegally?
Who should pay for health insurance or health care for temporary workers who are in the United States?
Health Insurance Coverage Overview Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2006,
10 Things Hospital CEOs Won't Tell You, Angie C. Marek , Smart Money 11/12/2008
posted 10/2007 In the spirit of Thomas Paine - released to public domain by Cynthia J. O'Hora
Aligned with the following Pa
Academic Standards - Reading, Writing Speaking, History, Civics and
Government, Mathematics, Science and Technology
Save a tree use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the wp document in an easily read, contrasting color (Not yellow)_or font. (avoid fancy fonts like Symbol, , Techno font) MYO digital answer form.